Thursday, June 25, 2015

Capturing a Moment to Collage

For my final art entry, I chose to create a collage using limited amount of supplies. It represents the amount of resources listed for us to read, watch and/or listened to during our Graduate Program.

For this final project, I wanted to create collage in a small, contained size by using a 3.5” x 5.25” etching paper. My purpose was to allow the collage to grow spontaneously, like the subject matters and information that stuck with me from the Graduate Program. Not everything that was taught stayed with me, nor did I find everything valuable. However, the program was packaged tightly and very well organized.
Limited amount of supplies for collage making.

Goal was to create a predominantly horizontal feel.
 

Playing with glue to add interest.


Using flags to create an horizon line.
 

Though I wanted the collage to form organically, I still needed structure. I gave myself one rule, to make the piece look predominantly horizontal. [Figure 1]  After working on the first piece for 30 minutes, I didn’t like it. The next piece was predominately diagonal. [Figure 2]   I liked it but not completely satisfied. The third was predominately vertical. [Figure 3]  This is like school; we received instructions of our homework, yet still had options of what we wanted to write on.
[Figure 1]

[Figure 2]

[Figure 3]

 
After more than an hour went by, I decided to let go and not think too much about creating an ineffable piece of art that is arresting for every viewer. Four hours into it, I completed 7 pieces (in total). Interestingly enough, I didn’t realize how long I spent on this project. It felt less than an hour. The work drama and persona- life issues melted away. The last 4 collages felt more organic and simplified.




In reflection, this is a process would benefit the patients greatly. It could truly allow them to experience the state of “flow”, when a person enjoys a process that he is completely absorbed in it. This process helped peel off a few layers of my stressful day. I remember starting with extremely tight shoulders and ended forgetting that I needed a massage. The small contained space will make it less intimidating for patients as well. This might be a great self-expressive project for a patient, but most importantly, it will help usher in the state of “flow”.

1 comment:

dealmecoupon said...

anthropologie coupon


Thanks for sharing this amazing article, it is very informative post good work keep it up.