Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Lullaby

If you know me, you know I love fairy tales. One of my co-workers sent me “The World’s Shortest Fairy Tale!” It goes like this:

Once upon a time, a guy asked a girl "Will you marry me?" The girl said "NO!" And the girl lived happily ever-after and went shopping, dancing, camping, drank martinis, always had a clean house, never had to cook, did whatever she wanted, never argued, didn't get fat, traveled more, had many friends, didn't save money, and had all the hot water to herself. She went to the theater, never watched sports, never wore lacy lingerie that went up her butt, had high self-esteem, never cried or yelled, felt and looked fabulous in sweat pants and was pleasant all the time. The End!

Fairy tales are morbid. They were originally written for adults. In the original Little Mermaid written by Hans Christian Andersen, she would feel sharp pain at her feet every time she walked or danced. The prince loved to watch her dance and she continued to dance even while she was in pain. Now that’s love for you – torture yourself to please a man. Uggh.

Though the short story above was meant to be humorous, I can totally relate to the bachelorette. I do get all the hot water to myself. I can hang out with whomever and whenever. I am definitely not fat and I get to travel as often as I can.

Understand that the lack of a boyfriend is not what I bereft of; the intimacy with Jesus is what my spirit and soul ache for. It doesn’t matter if I had a boyfriend. Without Jesus, everything is pointless. The most painful and best thing about being on earth has been the understanding of God’s love for the world. He loves us so much that He still went to the cross knowing how much agony and excruciating pain He had to endure. I don’t know if I would dive into a relationship if I knew in advance that it would end badly, that my heart would be ripped out and chopped into pieces. Would you? Jesus did.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
but she'd be a whole lot prettier
if she smiled once in a while
`cause even her smile
looks like a frown
she's seen her share of devils
in this angel town

But, everything's gonna be all right
rockabye, rockabye
everything's gonna be all right
rockabye, rockabye
rockabye – Shawn Mullins

No comments: