Friday, February 15, 2008

No Plans for Valentine’s Day.

My friend Al G. sent me an email yesterday, telling me that he wished everyday were Valentine’s Day. “Sure Al. You are the one who is happy in love with your new fiancé.” Me? Yet again, I am without that special someone. There were times when I sold myself on the cheap and ended up with someone who was not God’s best for me. Now, my heart belongs to one Man named Jesus. In the secular world, people call me “extreme” and tell me that I should be a nun. Yeah, right! I am far from Sister Theresa. I might eat, breathe and dream of Jesus, but I still struggle between two worlds, resulting in my singleness at this time.

As I sip my Rooibos tea and try to resist from conforming to the world’s pressure of what is “normal” and what is “odd for God”; I revert to the wall of Jericho. (Joshua 6:1-21)

The wall of Jericho was up to 25 feet high and 20 feet thick. God promised Joshua that He would deliver Jericho into Joshua's hands. Joshua was instructed to march around the wall 6 days with his armed men and on the seventh day, "blast the trumpets, give a loud shout and the city will collapse". God specifically said to not make a noise or cry until the seventh day. Joshua was obedient to the Lord and was granted victory! My daily trials, season of singleness and childhood suffering are equivalent to the wall of Jericho. They feel too massive to conquer, to overcome the desert season, and to see the light of a new day. The fear is that if it continues long enough, all you are is empty. The world begins to beat you down to the point that settling for less is better than having loneliness as your best friend.

But God is my Abba. Like the instructions He gave Joshua, ‘take time to view the situation in a 360-degree. Spend time to walk around the wall to see the cracks, the weak points’. After each analysis, I then take it to the Lord for directions and ask Him to help me see where I can tear down my wall and receive the blessings that God has waiting for me. As the sun always sets, so is God’s goodness.

I have confidence that God will deliver. All in God’s timing. I will receive His full blessings as long as I wait and be obedient to Him whether the secular world accepts me or not.

2 comments:

Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

wow! so this is what you've been up to, Linh?

Anonymous said...

...and yet, sometimes we become so busy walking around the walls in our life, waiting for God to make them fall, we forget that before the walls of Jericho came tumbling down, God first sent the spies inside...not everyone dressed as a friend is, but so too, not everyone dressed as an enemy means you harm...ask Rahab about that.